Thursday, February 21, 2008

Taking the Plunge

OK, I've finally gone and done it, taken the plunge into the blogosphere. My wife, who by the way has far more sense then I will ever have, has been after me for months to create a blog for the EnergyBible.com Web site that I created and manage. I have been more than usually resistant about it, not because I don't have things to say about my favorite topic, Renewable Energy, but because I am not known for being overly consistent when it comes to personal projects. For example, as I am typing at my desk I can look across the room and see the balsa wood model airplane that I started and which has been sitting on my shelf for months half way finished. Consistency just isn't my thing and I figure a blog on an important topic like finding solutions to the world's energy crisis has got to be consistent!

On the other hand the EnergyBible.com web site has been a project that I have been consistent with for over a year so maybe I am not as bad about that as I think I am. In any event, I am going to give it a try and see what happens. I figure the worse case is that nobody views the blog and I will have had a chance to vent, which is not exactly rare given that I have two teenage kids, but I am hopingit is good for my heart if nothing else.

As a quick and dirty background I am a recently retired 50+ geek and longtime educational technologist who has decided to use some of his new found free time to try and engender a little activism around the topic of renewable energy. I began the energybible.com Web site about a year ago and have been steadily plugging away at it since then. I did it because, to be honest, I looked at a lot of the Web sites that dealt with the topics of renewable energy and frankly thought most of them sucked. Many were slapped together non-profit sites that were understandably weak due to lack of funding and any discernable Web savvy. However, the biggest problem I saw was that the alternative energy sites tended to focus on just one kind of energy solution such as solar or wind. If there is any one thing I am convinced of after mucho years of research it is that no one approach to conserving and creating energy is going to do the job once all the oil goes away (which by the way is a whole lot sooner then everyone thinks!).

So there you go. That's my background and a bit about why this blog has been launched. I expect to do a fair bit of ranting on this site since to some extent that is what blogs are about but I am also hoping to make this blog, and the energybible.com site as informative as possible. I am assured by my wife who has had a blog for many years that people in the blogosphere are not shy and so I am likely to get a reaction to some of my blogs which is fine with me. The more discussion the better as far as I am concerned.

More to come!

No comments: